level It is a term with several uses. One of them mentions a rank or one category . The concept of lifetime, on the other hand, is linked to the existence . These ideas allow us to establish that the standard of living it is related to a certain category that reach people In its existence.
The concept standard of living, therefore, refers to a degree of material comfort that an individual or a social group manages to obtain or aspires to achieve. The notion includes both the products and services that are acquired on an individual level as well as the goods and services consumed collectively and those provided by the State .
The satisfaction of material needs It is the most important factor in determining the standard of living of the inhabitants of a region. In a city where the inhabitants go hungry or do not have a decent home, the standard of living is poor.
In general, it is possible to affirm that most megacities and very small towns do not offer a good standard of living. In the first case, pollution and stress they are current currency; in the second, on the other hand, the infrastructure and the possibilities of economic development are usually poor.
Ways to measure the standard of living
In accordance with the provisions of the United Nations Development Program (known as UNDP), there are several metrics that allow to evaluate the standard of living of the inhabitants of a certain region; the most significant are the following:
* Human development index: it is a statistical indicator and Social that arises from the three-point analysis:
+ longevity and health (life expectancy is measured at birth);
+ educational level (the literacy rate of adults and enrollment in the different stages of the education system, which are primary, secondary and higher education) are analyzed;
+ the possibility of leading a life worthy, which is measured from the Gross Domestic Product or according to the Purchasing Power Parity, in order to make the necessary comparisons.
* index of multidimensional poverty, which has recently replaced the of human poverty and that it serves to study whether a series of fundamental aspects of life in society of our species are fulfilled, such as education and access to public health services;
* the level of access that each inhabitant of a given population has to the services considered basic, calculated from the health care;
* the quality and volume of supply of Water drinking (taking into account only the percentage of people who receive it in sufficient quantities for their livelihood) and the conservation of the environment;
* the Gini coefficient, which studies the balance (or lack thereof) in the distribution of wealth in a country determined;
* the Gross Domestic Product. While some people believe that the production of a nation is one of the most significant metrics, the analysis of the above can demonstrate that it is not accurate.
It is necessary to point out that these indicators have various shortcomings, such as that they do not repair the distribution of income or the subjective valuations that derive from the different cultural systems. With respect to this last point, it is important to emphasize that one should not attempt to measure the standard of living of a country paying attention exclusively to the plan economic, but to reach a representative conclusion of reality it is essential to take into account other aspects, both social and demographic.